I think there are monkey's living in this house!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Surprised by Oxford

I've been reading this book:
Let me just say.... I love it!!

Broad synopsis... the author goes to Oxford to study English literature and goes on a journey of faith and discovery. I love it because she not only quotes the Bible (and her love for the word is infectious!) but she also quotes Shakespeare, Emily Dickenson, Milton, C.S Lewis and many other classic authors.

I thought I would share this quote. The author is talking to one of her professors about her professors decision to leave the workforce and stay home with her children. Her professor says
""What does it matter what committee you serve on? What promotion you get? That book you labor to write and push to publish, someone will end up resting a coffee cup on, without any care as to your sacrifice. Your children are only young once. Your marriage provides you a chance to put someone else first daily. Such things refine your soul" A faraway look passed over her eyes, and I caught myself remembering that she was a widow" (pg. 233-234)

No comments:

Post a Comment